The National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) is an honor society for outstanding career and technical students of workforce vocational education institutions in the United States.
NTHS began in 1984 as the National Vocational-Technical Honor Society at H.B. Swofford Career Center, Spartanburg County, South Carolina. In 2003, the board of directorsunanimously agreed to change the name of the organization from the National Vocational-Technical Honor Society to the National Technical Honor Society.
Today NTHS serves over 3,800 member schools, both secondary and post-secondary, and has a footprint in all 50 states, with chapters expanding into the Bahamas, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and Guam. NTHS honors the achievements of leading career and technical education students, provides scholarships, and cultivates excellence in today's highly competitive, skilled workforce. Its fiscal year runs with the general school calendar, August 1 - July 31. The Jon H. Poteat Scholarship is the largest scholarship fund for NTHS. In April of 2015, $175,000 was awarded through the Jon H. Poteat Scholarship Fund, each equalling $1,000.
NTHS also works with seven Career Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs):TSA, HOSA, SkillsUSA, DECA, FBLA/PBL, BPA, FCCLA.
The goals of the National Technical Honor Society include:
- Rewarding excellence in workforce education
- Developing self-esteem, pride
- Encouraging students to reach higher levels of achievement
- Promoting strong values-honesty, responsibility, initiative, teamwork, leadership, citizenship, scholarship
- Helping schools build effective business partnerships
- Building a strong positive image for workforce education in America
How Do I Join
Membership in NTHS is via teacher nomination and is based upon the following criteria:
- be a sophomore, junior or senior
- at least 3.0 overall GPA
- attend class regularly and on time
- show interest in a relevant career
- demonstrate a scholastic achievement
- be honest, responsible, and dependable
- exhibit leadership and good citizenship
- show initiative
West Leyden Sponsor: