1:1 @ Leyden
Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, Leyden High School District 212 transitioned to a fully 1:1 teaching and learning environment. Almost every student is issued a district-owned Chromebook to use while they are enrolled in the district. Students are responsible for the care and maintenenance of their devices and may get service and support through the Tech Support Internship (TSI) classroom in each building. It is a requirement that students bring their device to school each day with a fully charged battery. If a student damages his/her Chromebook, the student will be responsible for the cost to repair the device, but a loaner will be issued to the student while his/her assigned Chromebook is being fixed.
Click here to access a list of archived documents, blog posts, articles, and videos related to 1:1 at Leyden.
- The nature of information and knowledge is changing.
- Students learn differently today.
- Education has to become about more than just standardized tests.
- We live in a digital age, dominated by information, that sees technological advancements happening at an exponential rate.
- We must prepare students for their futures, not our past.
- Students have a fundamental right to expect an education that reflects these principles
Optional Insurance Information
The District will repair or replace damaged equipment resulting from normal use. All other breakages will be the responsibility of the student to pay for. The District will make its best attempt to purchase replacement parts at the best possible price. Loss or theft of the device is also the student’s responsibility and will result in the student being charged the full replacement cost to purchase a new device.
Optional insurance through a third party provider will be available for students and their families to purchase.
What is a Chromebook?
Attributes of a Chromebook:
- 8 second startup time
- 8-10 hour battery life
- Less maintenance
- Resistant to viruses
- Automatic updates
- Easier management
- Support from Google
- Lower cost of ownership than traditional laptops