Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society is a national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. Individuals who apply and are accepted for membership become affiliated with an organization that has national recognition and will receive honor cords at graduation signifying membership.
The Rho Kappa chapter at the Leyden High Schools recognizes students for outstanding academic achievement, and encourages an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
HOW DO I JOIN? Membership in Rho Kappa is open to all Leyden Students who have met the membership requirements.
THERE WILL BE TWO APPLICATION OPPORTUNITIES IN 2021-22. FALL applications are only for juniors and seniors. SPRING applications will be accepted from sophomores and juniors.
Spring membership is open. Please see the instructions below. Applications are due April 29.
Requirements for inclusion in Rho Kappa include:
- Be in attendance at Leyden for at least one semester prior to applying.
- Have completed at least four semesters of work in Social Studies Classes. (The earliest a Leyden student can apply is second semester sophomore year.)
- Be prepared to complete at least six semesters of work in Social Studies classes. (Enrolled in Social Studies classes for the following year. This is automatic as juniors must take US History.)
- Have a cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 in Social Studies classes.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (weighted or unweighted).
- Be prepared to demonstrate through the application process participation in activities that demonstrate civic engagement in school or community.
- Please apply here.
These requirements will be checked during Part 1 of the application process. An applicant who passes this portion of the process will be notified to proceed to Part 2.
TBD - Meetings will begin once the application process is finished.