West Construction FAQ
- What is the cost of the projects? How is this project being financed?
- What will happen to the courtyard?
- Will the students be able to eat lunch during the construction?
- Where will my kids be dropped of by the bus at East Leyden during construction?
- Did one of the swimming pools close?
1. What is the cost of the projects? How is this project being financed?
The combined renovation and addition projects will cost approximately $80 million dollars. These projects are being funded without the need for a local property tax increase or a referendum.
2. What will happen to the courtyard?
At the completion of the project, West will have a renovated courtyard and an expansive commons area facing the courtyard that can be accessed year round. As part of the project, East will be adding a courtyard.
3. Will the students be able to eat lunch during the construction?
The East cafeteria will not be impacted during the construction project. The current cafeteria at West will be functioning during the construction of the new kitchen so, students will have access to breakfast and lunch. Some items may not be available for purchase during a given time based on the availability of equipment.
4. Where will my kids be dropped of by the bus at East Leyden during construction?
At East, buses will drop off students on King Street by the auditorium once construction has begun.
5. Did one of the swimming pools close?
Yes, the East Leyden swimming pool is currently being remodeled to serve as the new wrestling practice room. A new aquatic center is part of the project at East Leyden but there will be no swimming at East until it opens in 2019.