• Minor Work Permits

    • The Illinois Department of Labor oversees the safety of minors in Illinois by regulating the employment of workers under 16 years of age. The law protects children by limiting working hours, prohibiting work in hazardous occupations, and requiring employment certificates (820 ILCS 205/1-22 Child Labor Law).

      In an effort to streamline the employment certificate process, the Department is moving towards a paperless system. Employment certificates for minors and Temporary Employment Certificates will only be available online. Hard copies of employment certificate forms will no longer be provided by the Department.

      To facilitate this process, please provide the Department with the name and contact information of your issuing officer(s). Employment certificates will only be accepted from issuing officers. For more information from the Illinois Department of Labor please visit them on the web at www2.illinois.gov or at Employment Certificates for Minors


      Below you will find a link for a PDF version of the work permit application for minors. Complete the application and submit the necessary paperwork.  We will process the minor work permit application and have your permit available within the week. We will call or email you when the permit is ready for pick up. (You must be in our district boundaries, or have a child enrolled at Leyden High School to have a work permit issued to you)

      Below is the list of documentation that will need to be scanned back or photos can also be taken and attached; and emailed back with your completed application:

      • Minor's name and contact information on application & parent/guardians signature. 
      • Social Security number
      • A letter from the employer on their letterhead, regarding the intent of the employer, the type of work, and work schedule signed by the employer. 
      • Birth Certificate
      • Photo ID of parent and student. (Student School ID is acceptable for the minor.) -This is necessary to verify and show proof of the relationship of the parent to the student. 
      • Medical Statement: Current Physical or letter from a physician letter stating the student's fitness is suitable for the work he or she is applying for.
      • Principal Letter- The applicant’s home school must supply a letter on school letterhead stating that the minor is a full-time student and the
        hours the child is in school and signed by the principal. (For Leyden students I will reach out to the Principals office.) 
      • Minor Work Application PDF


       Completed applications with all of the above-listed documents should be emailed to East Student Services Secretary, Ms. Melissa Torres at mtorres@leyden212.org, or West Student Services Secretary, Ms. Louise Jarke at  ljarke@leyden212.org