Certified Nurse s Assistant Program
Leyden Medical Careers CNA Independent Study
Are you interested in a career in the medical field? With Leyden's Medical Careers Independent Study Program you can become an Illinois Department of Public Health Certified Nurse's Assistant!
We are excited to provide you with this unique opportunity to earn an entry-level professional medical certification while in high school! The CNA credential is a building block of the medical field that will allow you to continue to grow as you gain experience.
Designed to prepare nursing assistants to provide care in various health care settings under the direction of a registered nurse. The program includes development of fundamental nursing skills through lectures, laboratory activities and clinical experience. Students may also complete elective courses to gain knowledge and practical skills in ethical and legal responsibilities, medical terminology, venipuncture and electrocardiography.
How it Works
- Monday: Class 2:30-4:15
- Tuesday: Class 2:30-4:15
- Wednesday: Class 2:30-4:15
- Thursday: Class 2:30-4:15
- Friday: No class
- Saturday: Clinical Site Visits (starting 2/24 thru 4/13)
Classes meet at Triton College Building H, and students are dual-enrolled: earning credit at Leyden and Triton.
- Medical Careers CNA Independent Study - TDE 310
- 1 Semester or .5 a Credit
- Grades 11,12
- Prerequisites: Medical Careers, OR, AP Bio, OR Anatomy and Physiology
- Scores of 480 or better on SAT EBRW OR a score of 550 or better combined Reading and Writing score on the Next-Generation ACCUPLACER Placement Exam
- Must have the ability to lift, move, and transfer patients. Students must have health insurance, meet all health requirements, pass a criminal background check, and have eligibility to work in the United States. All the above requirements will be reviewed in the mandatory attendance Information Session at the beginning of each semester.
Students that successfully complete the course with a "C" or better will be waived of all fees. Students who fail the course will be subject to a $1,250.00 course and book fee.
CNA Cohort Video Passcode: QT=2XJMb