Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society is a national organization for high school juniors and seniors that recognizes excellence in the field of Social Studies. Individuals who apply and are accepted for membership become affiliated with an organization that has national recognition and will receive honor cords at graduation signifying membership.
The Rho Kappa chapter at the Leyden High Schools recognizes students for outstanding academic achievement, and encourages an interest in, understanding of, and appreciation for the social studies.
HOW DO I JOIN? Membership in Rho Kappa is open to all Leyden Students who have met the membership requirements.
To be eligible for membership in Rho Kappa, a student must complete the following process:
- Complete the Part 1 of the Rho Kappa Application DUE 5/3/21 11:59 pm
- If you meet the requirements of Part 1, you will move on to the second part of the application. Part 2 of the Rho Kappa Application will be sent to you via email. There are questions you will be expected to answer. You will also need to procure a letter of recommendation from a teacher. The letter of recommendation should speak to your character, therefore, it does not have to be from a Social Studies teacher. DO NOT obtain a letter until you have met the requirements in Part 1 of the application. Please inform the teacher that the letter should be emailed to:
WEST - Ms. Hoelscher - firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements for inclusion in Rho Kappa include:
- Be in attendance at Leyden for at least one semester prior to applying.
- Have completed at least four semesters of work in Social Studies Classes. (The earliest a Leyden student can apply is second semester sophomore year.)
- Be prepared to complete at least six semesters of work in Social Studies classes. (Enrolled in Social Studies classes for the following year. This is automatic as juniors must take US History.)
- Have a cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 in Social Studies classes.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (weighted or unweighted).
- Be prepared to demonstrate through the application process participation in activities that demonstrate civic engagement in school or community.
These other requirements will be checked during Part 1 of the application process.