Leyden Advanced Placement (AP) Program
What are AP classes?
The Advanced Placement (AP) Program at Leyden High Schools offers high school students the opportunity to experience college-level courses and potentially earn college credit while in high school.
Why Take an AP class? (from the College Board website)
- Earn college credits
- By taking an AP course and successfully scoring on the AP Exam, you can save on college expenses: most colleges and universities nationwide offer college credit, advanced placement, or both, for qualifying AP Exam scores. These credits can allow students to save college tuition, study abroad, or secure a second major. AP can transform what once seemed unattainable into something within reach. See what course credit Illinois colleges and universities will offer you for your AP score.
- Stand out in college admissions
- Deciding to take an AP course allows colleges and universities know that you have what it takes to succeed in a college-level class. When admissions officers see “AP” on your transcript, they know that what you experienced in a particular class has prepared you well for the challenges of college. Taking AP is a sign that you’re up for the most rigorous classes Leyden has to offer.
- Skip introductory classes in college
- If you already know your preferred college major, taking a related AP course and earning a qualifying score on the AP Exam can help you advance and avoid required introductory courses, so you can move directly into upper-level classes and focus on the work that interests you most.
- Even taking an AP Exam unrelated to your major – whether or not you know what you want to major in – can place you beyond your college’s general education requirements. This opens up additional time on your schedule, enabling you to do a second major or minor, take exciting electives, or pursue additional interests.
- Build college skills
- Taking an AP course builds the skills you'll need throughout your college years. You give your mind a rigorous workout while polishing up your time management and study skills. You also get better at handling challenging issues and problems, with the support of your AP teachers. AP courses let you know what to expect during the next phase of your educational journey, and help you build the confidence to succeed.