Peer Coaching Club supports and collaborates with students, teachers, and the East Leyden community on a variety of academic (across the disciplines) and non-academic (letters of recommendation, college essays/applications, resumes and cover letters, writing contests, personal interest writing, etc.) writing tasks.
If you would like to schedule an appointment for a conference with a peer coach, please sign up on Super Sass or just drop in the Writing Center any day after school from 2:30-3:25, and our coaches can help you make an appointment.
When you come in for a Peer Coaching Session, you can expect any of the coaches to conduct the session in a similar way because each has been trained to follow a specific structure. The following is a description of the general objectives of a coaching session.
During a coaching session, you can expect your writing coach to do the following:
- Teach you the process for scheduling an appointment
- Help you complete the paperwork necessary for our record
- Get to know you and tailor the session to your needs, interests, and learning style
- Clarify the goal of the session and stay focused on this throughout the session
- Activate your prior knowledge - the coach will ask you questions such as: What do you already know about your topic? What’s working? What’s not?
- Ask you open-ended questions to get you thinking about how to complete your writing task rather than telling you how to complete your writing task
- Use encouraging, supportive language and maintain appropriate body language
- Create a strategic plan for the session
- Check for understanding throughout the session
- Ask you to complete a reflection of your experience
Jeanette Gagliardi - firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheyenne Aguilar - email@example.com