New student schedule
A new daily class schedule will be implemented for the 2021-22 school year. The new schedule includes seven academic periods, one lunch period, and an all-new “Eagle Time” Period.
“The goal of the recently completed renovations and additions at East and West campuses was to create suitable spaces for us to implement a new schedule to better serve all of our students,” said Superintendent Dr. Nick Polyak. “Numerous groups of stakeholders worked together to develop a schedule that optimizes instructional time, builds a stronger community, and includes time for students to access various support services available at Leyden.”
Key components of the new schedule include the following:
- All students will end their day at the same time
All students will complete their last class of the day at 2:40 p.m. every day.
- Built-in supports for all students during the school day
The "Eagle Time" period will run on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between Periods 2 and 3 and include grade-level supports for all students during two of the four days per week.
- All students will be part of a 4-year advisory which meets twice a week for 35 minutes
During two of the "Eagle Time" periods per week, all students will be assigned to a grade-level advisory. These advisories will remain consistent each year, with the same teacher and group of students. This grouping is meant to create a strong sense of belonging, build relationships with fellow students and teachers, and support personal and academic growth.
- Freshman/Class of 2025 and Seniors/Class of 2022 - Mondays and Thursdays
- Sophomores/Class of 2024 and Juniors/Class of 2023 - Tuesdays and Fridays
- Each class will be the same number of minutes each week
Classes will be a consecutive 45-minute period on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. They will be 40-minute periods on Wednesday inservice days. Every class will meet for 220 minutes per week.
- Lunch periods increase by 10-minutes
Lunch periods will now be 35-minutes during regular school days and 34-minutes during inservice days.
- Wednesdays will continue to be inservice days with classes starting at 8:50 a.m.
Teachers will continue to work in their Professional Learning Communities every Wednesday morning before classes begin at 8:50 a.m.
- Teachers will have office hours at the end of every day from 2:40 p.m. - 3:10 p.m.
Every teacher will be available at the end of every school day to meet with students for additional support. A schedule of teacher locations will be posted.
- Upperclassmen may earn the option to have flexible time in their day twice per week for 35 minutes
Eligible Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors can use two of their "Eagle Time" periods per week to visit the student commons or library. The criteria for earning this incentive will be communicated at the beginning of the school year.
- Leadership opportunities for Juniors and Seniors
Juniors will have an opportunity to become Freshman Advisory mentors and Seniors will have the opportunity to become Sophomore Advisory mentors.
Inservice Schedule (Wednesdays)