Free Grab & Go Program Update
September 3, 2020
On August 31, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced that it will allow summer meal program operators to continue serving free meals to all children into the fall months. The program will run until December 31, 2020 or until federal funds run out. This decision allows school districts such as Leyden to ensure that children have access to nutritious meals as the country recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to this decision from the USDA, Leyden sent a communication to families informing them about new procedures for the free Grab & Go program. However, due to the update from the USDA, Leyden is proud to announce that beginning September 3, 2020, the district will provide free nutritious meals to all community children 18 years-old and younger. No identification is required.
- pick up days and hours: Monday - Friday 11:00 to 12:00
- Leyden will provide lunch for the day and breakfast for the following morning.
- lunches can be picked up at both campuses: door 5A at West, and doors 18 East.
- lunches will continue to be distributed at bus routes; and deliver meals door to door for special education students.
- parents and/or guardians can pick up meals for all children in their household.
As a federally funded Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) school district, and a National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs participant, students can participate in these meal programs without having to pay a fee or submit a meal application.
Families can still apply for registration and fee waivers here.